Saturday, June 20, 2009

Thin-and-Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies

A few years ago Amanda Hesser published three different chocolate chip cookie recipes in the NY Times Magazine food section: Thin & Crispy, Flat & Chewy, and Thick & Gooey. I have never made it past Thin & Crispy! So I'm not going to make the claim that these are the best chocolate chip cookies ever (like many people do), but I will say they seem to be the only kind I make these days. Because they have so much butter, they start to take on toffee-like qualities. The key is to cook them long enough so that they get quite brittle, but not so long that they burn. (I don't have any words of wisdom on exactly how to determine this however. I just bake them on the longish side of the estimated time.)

1+3/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon kosher salt
14 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
1 - 1+1/2 cups chopped bittersweet chocolate (that's a lot of chocolate to chop! I usually use part semisweet mini-chips)
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped (optional)

Cream the butter, sugars, corn syrup until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, then milk. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; mix into butter & sugar just until a dough forms. Fold in the chocolate and walnuts. Chill the dough.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with tin foil. Roll a two-tablespoon lump of dough into a ball, place on baking sheet and flatten to a 1/4 inch disk. Place cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake until the edges are dark golden brown, 14-17 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack. Makes about 20-24 cookies.

5 comments:

  1. oh wow! i have been looking for something crispy cos my family all loooove crispy chochip cookies like the famous amos kind except me who love any kind of chochip be it, thin,crispy,chewy,thick,gooey:) thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so interesting that cookie lovers can be divided over whether a crisp and delicate cookie is the best or a soft and chewy cookie is the best. I say if the flavor profile is good, and there's cold milk on hand, either kind of cookie is my favorite!

    I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

    Best,
    Casey
    Editor
    www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long do you chill the dough?
    The NYT recipe on the website now says 1 cup flour...I'm confused!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, that's interesting...I wonder why they have that asterisk after the amount? I have always used the printed recipe, which says 1+3/4 cups. Maybe I will try using less next time--I assume that would make it even crispier. I see they also increased the amount of nuts.

    I don't have a set chill time--anywhere from 1 hour to overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, my friend. I made these tonight, and they are superb. I was nervous about using hot melted butter. That seems unorthodox, but the cookies came out crisp and thin, exactly as I hoped. Thank you for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete