Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Seven Layer Bars



This recipe has been around forever. I have also seen these called Magic Cookie Bars and Hello Dollies. I loved the recipe as a kid: both the fact that you could make it all in the pan, and then of course how good it was, especially if you like super sweet things!

You can see from the recipe card (why oh why, was margarine--or in this case "olio"--in all my recipes from the '70s??) how we used to make it. Today I'd use peanut butter chips instead of butterscotch...though the recipe is obviously open to a myriad of variations!
  1. 1/2 cup (one stick) butter - can be melted right in a 9" x 13" pan!
  2. 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  3. 1 cup coconut
  4. 12 oz. (one package) chocolate chips
  5. 12 oz. (one package) peanut butter chips
  6. 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  7. 1+1/2 cup chopped (not "shopped") nuts
Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes.


A corridor of chips (I made this in my zig-zag pan) before adding the sweetened condensed milk.

1 comment:

  1. whoa! these look fantastic!!!
    and as always, beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete