Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oatmeal Coconut Crispies

I made these recently for my friend Sally's 85th birthday and she liked them so much I thought I would make her some more. When you're 85, you can have as many cookies as you want!

My brother and I have made these since we were kids. They are from a cookbook I practically memorized as a kid, and still enjoy today: Betty Crocker's Cooky Book (still in print, I think). These are on the sweet side--you could probably cut the sugar a bit. And sometimes I use a combination of white and whole-wheat flour to pretend they're healthier.

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (maybe you could use quick cooking--I've never tried)
1 cup flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter, sugars, eggs & vanilla until fluffy. Blend in flour, soda & salt; then rolled oats and coconut. Drop rounded teaspoons on a parchment-lined cookie sheets. They will spread, so make sure there are 1.5"- 2" inches between drops. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.

4 comments:

  1. I remember these--they are good. I'd forgotten about them. Anonymousmom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh No! I missed Sally's 85th? I thought it was next year!! I didn't have this cookbook growing up but another Betty Crocker that was similar. Still great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the awesomest cookies in the land if you add peanut butter & chocolate chips. 1 cup of each. I then refer to them as oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip coconut crispies. These are my all-time favoritist cookies of all time ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look yummy! And happy birthday to Sally!

    ReplyDelete